Transferring groups from Mac to iPhone

For discussion of our contact organizing program

Transferring groups from Mac to iPhone

Postby Michael Graubart » Wed May 28, 2014 5:18 pm

I have a 3G iPhone with iOS 4.2.1, and use it in conjunction with a Mac mini with OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion). I have just downloaded the Groups for Contacts app.

In Contacts on my Mac, I have set up a number of groups as e-mail mailing lists. Is there any way that these groups can be made to appear in Groups for Contacts on my iPhone so that I don't have to set them up all over again on the phone?

Thanks in anticipation of advice.
Michael Graubart

Re: Transferring groups from Mac to iPhone

Postby Michael Graubart » Sat May 31, 2014 3:39 pm

I seem to have discovered the answer to my question above: my contacts have magically got themselves allocated to the groups set up on my Mac. But how can I use this happy fact? The groups are intended to be mailing lists. But if I open Mail in my phone and type a group name into the address field, this is not accepted as a valid address, as it would be on the Mac.

How can I use the groups as mailing lists? Is there some way of mailing from Groups for Contacts?

Thank you again in anticipation of replies.
Michael Graubart

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:14 pm

Good Evening--

Apple doesn't currently support emailing groups from their app (I believe they announced that the phone companies were concerned phones would be used to spam email through cell connections.)

I haven't added emailing groups from the app itself because of concerns they might shut down GfC for the same reason.

We may be revisiting this app, and I will poke around to see if apple allows this.

--Mike
Mike
Site Admin

Postby Michael Graubart » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:39 pm

Thanks, Mike. I look forward to hearing from you if and when you do arrive at a solution.
Michael Graubart

Return to Groups for Contacts